Ideally, keep beef in its original wrapping and move it to your refrigerator. Defrost times are as follows:
- Large roasts: 4-7 hours per pound
- Small roasts: 3-5 hours per pound
- Steaks and burgers (one inch thick): 12-14 hours
If you’re pressed for time, however, you can:
- Place the sealed vacuum pack in a sink filled with cold water (make sure the package seal is watertight!)
- Remove the beef from its package and microwave it on the “defrost” setting
Please note: We do not recommend thawing beef in your microwave or at room temperature; these steps are only if you really need to use the beef right away.